Thursday, November 6, 2008

Baby Food Gourmet (ha)


I've been going through my favorite baby food site here this morning, just kind of getting a refresher in making my own baby food. I'm really excited about it now! Making your own baby food sounds so daunting and time consuming, but it's so easy. No, really. It is! And I don't have to wonder what little "extras" have been added for color or freshness, because I know exactly what is in it.


I think we're going to start out trying avocado, applesauce, peaches, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and cereals. Since this little guy has a milk allergy, I'm going to introduce one new item per week just to make sure he's not allergic to anything else.


If you're wondering what a milk allergy reaction looks like, maybe this will be helpful. With Hannah, I gave her cow's milk when she was 12 or 13 months old. Her first exposure was fine, which is typical. Her second exposure caused an allergic reaction (also typical with food allergies). Within seconds a red rash developed around her mouth and her nose started running. This was as far as it went - no airway constriction or anything like that, but scary none the less. Since then she will get a rash on her tummy and back when exposed to milk products, although it has gotten tons better recently. I always thought she would outgrow most of it by age 3, and that seems to be the case.


Note: Milk allergy and lactose intolerance are two totally different things. Lactose intolerance will make you uncomfortable, but a really bad milk allergy can kill you.


Oh - I hear the little man now, waking up from his nap. Gotta run!

1 comment:

One of the Callarmans said...

Have you tried the book, Mommy Made and Daddy Too! It is full of baby food recipes and ideas. I really liked it. I need to check out the website you are talking about. Graham's picture is so cute!